Map of the Camino Frances

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Camino Questions

There are many questions asked of pilgrims in our guide books, such as why we are doing the Camino, and what is our purpose to be gained. Many many more, and thoughtful questions too. But, as one pilgrim had it, “Changes to one’s life come on the return journey home”

No one we have met is doing it for a religious purpose. Half if not more of the people we meet are doing it just for the tourism aspect. The others are wrestling with some sort of life crisis - a loss, a change, a transition. But there are always the tacit query in each others' eyes, So why are you doing the Camino? What question is it going to answer? What are you going to do differently when you are done? What are you seeking? All along the way we have been thinking of these questions and quietly contemplating, “What is our Camino Question?”  
On today’s lovely walk through fields of hay and grapevines, we actually had aha moments, and a little light bulb went up for each of us, helped by the other one.
For Martin it is a question of home. Where is home? And where is home to him? Not where does he live, or where was he born or even where his ancestors are from, but where is that place that he feels a true, down deep sense of comfort and familiarity that he could say is ‘home’. Physically he knows, and intellectually he knows, but emotionally, that place is still not identified as such. There are still a few emotional barriers.
For me, that is easy. When I got off the plane at the age of 14 in London, England, I was completely at ease despite it being my first time there. I felt at home and I knew I would live there someday, although it took another 10 years for that to happen. So England is my ancient homeland. But my true home, my current home, and the place I now feel is familiar and comfortable is the rugged cost of B.C.’s northern islands. I live in neither, but they call ‘home’ to my heart – my ancient home and my current home.
So my question took longer to determine but I think Martin may have helped me find it this same day, the first day of autumn, as we approach 250km thus far on our Camino.
“What is next?” Not externally, but more on the inside. A sort of “what will be my legacy?” By now I have defined my shape and coloured in the lines. Doing everything I could wherever I could and being open to everything along the way. Then I added some shadows, reconnecting with people and places of my past where there is still kindred connection, and renegotiating my role in my family, which meant acknowledging the parts of my character that needed adjusting to earn the relationships I wanted. Acknowledging my changing body. Now what? What can I do that may continue beyond me, as I do not have children or artistic work to leave behind. Not to be remembered particularly, but to leave something positive for someone to come.
Now we just have another 650 km to figure out how to answer our Camino questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment